Google+ Followers

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Several clashes erupted during Muslim Brotherhood’s marches in Egypt on Friday

Military patrolling the streets during the Islamists' marches
Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood’s supporters have held on Friday, 11 October, several marches in Egypt’s capital Cairo and in other cities as well including Giza, Alexandria, Qalyubia and some others. The marches have been held in attempt to mark 100 days since the ouster of Islamist backed President Mohamed Morsy from office by the military decree issued on 3 July amid the massive protests against Mohamed Morsy and his rule.

Several thousands of the Islamist supporters and pro-Morsy demonstrators have gathered in Cairo and other cities as well and marched chanting against the military and their rule and demanding reinstatement of Mohamed Morsy as Egypt’s President. Muslim Brotehrhood’s and ouster President’s supporters remain defiant despite the massive security crackdown of their sit-ins and demonstrations and continue to reject the roadmap imposed by the military.

Alliance in Support of Legitimacy, Islamist umbrella group united different forces and headed by Muslim Brotherhood has been calling for the continuous protests nationwide. Though the Alliance called in their official statement for the protesters not to head to Cairo’s Tahrir Square in order to avoid violent clashes and bloodshed. But the group stated that Tahrir should belong to all Egyptian citizens and all of them should have the right to protests there.

Thus the demonstrators have been marching in Cairo and some other cities, but several clashes erupted between them and their opponents as the protesters tried to reach Rabaa Al-Adaweya Square in Cairo’s Nasr City where the massive sit-in of Morsy supporters was violently dispersed by security forces on 14 August.

It’s worth mentioning that security measures are tightened in the neighborhood of Cairo’s Tahrir Square, Rabaa Al-Adaweya Square in Nasr City and Nahda Square in Giza as well with the security troops guarding the areas and blocking the entrances in order to prevent massive protest actions and new sit-ins.

The clashes resulted in tens of injured as police and security forces have been firing teargas in order to disperse the crowds. Ministry of health reported one death as a result of the clashes. Nearly 15 persons are reported to be arrested by security forces.